Saturday, December 4, 2010

James and the Giant Peach


I have wanted to reread this book for quite a while, since I was a child. After reading it this time I believe I didn't finish it then. There are parts that I don't recall and I think there were parts that scared me then.


As a adult with a small child I was charmed by James and his story. I could see this novel being formed as a bedtime story and dreamed that one day, I, too, could create something so wonderful for my son.


I love how Roald Dahl creates a positive attachment to the bugs for a child. Giving them personalities and showing their otherwise negative characteristics as positive. This teaches the child that they gladly serve a purpose in our complex world and that they are kind and gentle in their own right, something to be treasured, not feared.


I especially loved the imagery of the cloud men, creating hail as we create snowballs, lightening and rainbows with paint pails. As they are to be treasured, too, for while they create weather that can harm, they also create the rainbows.


And who would have thought that dirty little seagulls could be given such a positive turn?

No comments:

Post a Comment